Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Book Review - The Athlete's Guide to Yoga

The Athlete's Guide to Yoga: An Integrated Approach to Strength, Flexibility, and Focus
The Athlete's Guide to Yoga was the first book I bought for myself to help deepen my yoga practice.  I constantly would hear of programs like yoga for climbers and yoga for surfers, not being either at the time I always felt a little left out. I hiked, I paddled and most of all I biked, but those sports and yoga were not known to be synonymous.  This book is perfect for everyone else that don't get that set guide to complement yoga to your sport.

One thing to remember is that this book is written and designed by a a woman is a triathlete, I would take this book as a round practice guide that is more of an introduction to yoga than a strong and experienced yogi who doesn't necessarily feel the need for a book to guide them through their practice.  Near the end of the book their is a list of activities that help determine the best kind of the practice to complement your activity, there is a very detailed description for runners and triathletes but there is a sections for "active persons" which gives an example of activity and style of yoga for each day of the week.

The book has a fairly extensive introduction which covers everything to the basics of yoga including the 8 limbs, giving a short description outlining each limb, a list of what type of props one might want to have, and even what to expect at a studio and what each style of yoga offers.
Then the majority of the book gives descriptions of different asanas one might want to practice to improve their stability, strength and agility.  This includes pictures, different variations and even some what not to do photos.  This part of the book is broken into opening and warm-ups, balance, standing, sun salutations and flow, shoulders, backbends and chest openers, core, floor work, twists and inversions, relaxation and closing poses.

The final two sections of the book include some other aspects that one can incorporate in their training including meditation, breathing exercises and even some mantras.  My favourite part of the book is the final chapter which has different routines, although they are usually short and not fluid, it helps for the person who might be new to yoga or at least new to home practice and wants to design their own practice.

Also included with the book is a 15 minute dvd which has a practice on it. I have never used the DVD so I can not comment on it.

I would give this book an 8 out of 10.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment