Thursday, July 21, 2011

Acts of Kindness

This post was originally written months and months ago, actually close to year ago now.  But as it clearly expresses, I was saddened and embarrassed about my lack of action or sincerity.  Well I'm posting a slightly darker side to me and what a city like Vancouver has doug out of me.  Although it doesn't make me proud (which it really shouldn't) I have since walked this gentleman across a street twice, but In fact beyond november, I have not seen him since. I can only pray for him and his safety.  That someone else had not taken advantage of his weakness.



The only other thing I want to add is the experience of assisting him across a street crossing.  He sings to you.  And he says very sweet things.  That is once you get past the initial grumbling when you first introduce your touch to him and he forces your arm into position of leading where he can hold securely. I don't think you could have a conversation, but you can certainly listen to his ramblings for the minute it takes to cross a street with him, and that is pleasant.

Well on with my original post...

August 24, 2010


There is this gentleman that I have only seen once, maybe twice before, who travels around my neighbourhood. He carries a knit sign that says "I am deaf and blind".

Unfortunately as a woman, living in vancouver, living more specifically in Mount Pleasant north, I have partly for safety of myself turned off my random acts of kindness towards people in need. I have found in the two years that I have lived here I can (shamefully) turn my head away and keep walking past someone in need. Most of the time my heart going out to them. I honestly can't stop to help everyone, and Vancouver is notorious for people in need. but I have left food for one person one night and random bits of change for people who I felt deserved it and of course to local shelters etc.

So to the point, the times I have come across this man I have kept walking not knowing what to do, how to help, nor knowing if he was for real. Admittedly I have never forgotten him, how could one not! he stands at the edge of the sidewalk and he bangs his sight stick against the edge of the sidewalk endlessly.

I once again found myself at the corner with this man at Main and Broadway, banging away at his stick. I arrived and I know I looked puzzled; not really sure what to do. fortunatly before the light changed this other gentleman arrived on his bike, understanding, got off and touched the mans arm and immediately it dawned on me, what this man needs and is asking for is a safe crossing, this is it! In that moment I felt relief that he would be helped, embarrassment that it wasn't me, the pedestrian going in that direction, and shame that I didn't trust that he was honest about his limitations.

I was really impressed that I witnessed another person actually take the time and effort to help another out.  I sometimes feel I fight some of these battles on my own, picking up trash, sticking my hand out for the old lady, etc.  It was so inspiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment