Saturday, April 28, 2012

Events and Opportunities



These last two month have been pretty busy and exciting in my world of yoga.  I have been making plans, picking up classes and making sure I have enough money to follow through with all of these plans!



Have you heard of Wanderlust?  It is this fabulous music and Yoga Festival that began in California many years ago and is now being hosted in four different locations across North America (yes, this includes Canada!)  I have been wanting to attend this festival for three years so when January rolled around and I began to receive emails announcing this years dates I decided, this would be the year.  I'm married, I've completed my teacher training and then some, registered with the Yoga Alliance, purchased insurance, set up a regular teaching gig and I now I had a whole year ahead of me without much of a plan!  So I started doing the math and decided that I could make going to this (rather expensive) festival work.  Well that was settled, but I needed to find some more teaching work...



Hello Yogacara!  Last month Yogacara contacted me to teach a demonstration class.  Contract signed, I am now a substitute teacher for Yogacara.  This is really awesome!  Actually, I need to speak to this experience and to this studio, especially if you live in the Vancouver area.  Yogacara is a small studio, they limit the size of their classes so you know that you will never be sardined into a class.  Because of this, it's more of a family-feel studio; your teacher can get to know you and you your teacher.  And as for getting to teach, well it went 'awesomely'.  It was really great to teach a class of complete strangers.  Although I have been teaching groups and individuals for close to a year, they are all people I know in some capacity or another.  It felt really good to have students come up to me after and say that they really enjoyed my class and they hoped to take another class with me in the future!  While I was teaching, at first I was nervous (it is just what I do, it's like taking a test to me!) but then, at some point it hit me; this was the same as what I had been doing all year, and i knew how to do it!  I knew, not only how to tell people how to move but how to make them feel safe.  And that is such an honour, every single class I ever teach!


So that was March.


This Month, I had a dear friend from my teacher training ask me to help take care of her studio classes while she celebrated her 25 year anniversary with her husband (this is a couple who are still so in love and you can see it in their eyes, kind of like the movies)  So, Stephanie, meet Richmond, BC, Richmond, BC, watch out Stephanie is coming to town!


Shelly Jaffe has a beautiful little studio called Grace and Joy Yoga Studio and it is located off of Shell Road and Steveston Highway.  Go visit her site and maybe even her studio!  She has the most incredible sense of humour and beauty, and I couldn't be more honoured to be teaching some of her classes while she is away!


Oh and not to forget I will also have the opportunity to volunteer at the Wanderlust festival that is being held locally in Whistler, so not only will I get to spend a fortune and go to California (I couldn't be more excited for this trip!!!) but I get to wrap my summer up by spending a long weekend in Whistler and help others have the time of their lives at a Wanderlust festival!  I shouldn't fail to mention in exchange for this service I get a free day pass to study with some amazing teachers!  If you are interested in Volunteering at any of the four festivals just go here,  fill out the form and be prepared to be amazed and have a ball of a time!


Just remember: Continue looking forward, there are always opportunities to be made in the horizon!

No comments:

Post a Comment