Sunday, May 26, 2013

And then there was yoga for the rest of us

Today I had the honor of hosting a yoga class for one of our yoga greats in North America, Sage Rountree. When I was asked to do this for Mountain Equipment co-op, not only did I feel surpised and excited, but I also felt the stress off being responsible for 30 bodies and their sense of peace. I didn't know if I could create the calm needed for a yoga class, especially in the midst of the chaos of a large store that even putting noise aside, the shear number of things too look at and distract you with! But I suppose it's in the midst of chaos that we need to find sanctuary the most.

What a great learning experience to have been able to host this event. To have been able to share my own love of yoga to the people in Vancouver through Sage. Who was able to bring such knowledge and experience for different athletes who want to practice yoga in a way that would be beneficial to their own training while respecting their bodies abilities.

This experience has taught me that you can create a sacred space no matter where you are. And even though I had things for the altar like flowers, a singing bowl and even a statue of Shiva. I even managed to clear enough space so that everyone was able to lay their mats comfortably. But it is, I realized, the action of everyone coming together and the subtle vibrations we all create together when we come together as a community.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment