Tuesday, April 27, 2010

AcroYoga

I think how people come to different styles of yoga is always different but the one thing that can be uniform is a passion that is discovered, which is what makes them come back for more.  Jaqui Wan from London was hosting a AcroYoga Workshop this past weekend at Moksana in Victoria. Jaqui mentioned that she uniformly hears from people that the reason they fall in love with Acro Yoga is its playfulness and the excitement that builds up inside when practicing, while still being very relaxing.  This I would say is true, Acro Yoga allows for everyone’s inner child to be freed and without fail it brings a whole new dimension of possibilities for your everyday practice.  I don’t know that Acro Yoga would fit everyones individual personality but I do believe that everyone can benefit from a bit of Acro Yoga in their practice.
I am a rag doll, I can be touched, I can be bent (if physically permitting), and I am always willing to try something.  And the beautiful thing with Acro Yoga is that if you have the correct balance it really is not difficult.  So truly the only thing that should hold people back is a nervousness of touching others.  If you asked me a year ago I probably would have said that yoga happens on the mat only and my mat is my sanctuary; my own personal bubble.  But I love it when an instructor comes and moves me to where I should be or when there is a body worker to come and give my back a quick massage (that has to be the best! although a bit distracting cause all I can think is when will it be my turn!!!).
The other beautiful thing with AcroYoga, which I really felt I benefited from, is that by having another person doing the pose literally with you, the deepness of the pose really goes that much further!  You get to places you might not have gotten to without that bit of assistance.


AcroYoga began in 2004 in San Francisco by Jenny and Jason, originally being called ContactYoga.  It was not until April 2005 that it was named AcroYoga.  To date there are upwards of 120 Certified AcroYoga Teachers worldwide, with none in Canada.  Emelia Fedy who was assisting our class at Moksana in Victoria, has just been accepted to do her 200 hours to become an instructor through Jenny and James’s school.  She will become our resident BC instructor, but more specifically Vancouver.  I am extremely excited for her and will be keeping an eye out for her classes late this fall or winter.   (so excited!)
Similar to Anusara Training to become a certified instructor you need to have accumulated so much experience and have attended certain workshops or conferences before being allowed to take the training.  for now I will not aspire to become an instructor in AcroYoga but I will continue it has a hobby until maybe one day I will add it to my repertoire of teachables, of course once I am a certified instructor!
If their is anyone out there who is looking for a willing partner drop me a line.  I’m working on my Boyfriend, but he’s just not biting the bait! 


Next Step, get the pose guide and DVD!

No comments:

Post a Comment