Thursday, April 8, 2010

How do you keep motivated?

During this thirty day challenge, my goal is not to do thirty days worth of yoga, but to try for six sessions a week. If I was trying for all thirty days, I would already have failed.

Let’s be honest, who realistically has the time to commute and do a yoga session every single day? I certainly don't. There are certain people in my life that would feel rather neglected. I already have enough going on to fill that possibility. So that leaves me with a home practice. I have armed myself with knowledge of poses to practice in my living room along with podcasts off Itunes for when I'm looking for something more creative. Podcasts tend to push me harder than my hodgepodge of asanas that I try to call routines; it also prevents me from becoming distracted or bored of thinking of the next pose to move into.

But what motivates me? For instance, right now I am writing this instead of setting up my mat in the living room and getting ready to practice for 20 minutes. It will be a great way to go to sleep, once I get to it, but the time is ticking.

Once I am on my mat and in a class I am committed and I am so very grateful for being blessed with the time and opportunity to practice in a very pleasant studio. But what I find difficult is getting from point A to my mat. I have found that friends are a great motivator, lots of free time helps. If I have a big open window to plan in advance I almost always make it to a class. Apparently a so called 30 day challenge isn't enough to get me go there more often or to set up shop at home. So how do I build a yoga habit?

One help/habit site says that I should:

Make myself accountable: well I'm good at ignoring that...!
Prioritize your life: well that is what I do already and what I am attempting to do with yoga, but I have to work, that's not an option, but I also don't want to give up my social life, I guess that’s why I love yoga with friends so much...
Set a time and have a practice time: well that's an ongoing problem, without a regular work schedule...pretty much impossible!
Educate yourself: Well I got one

So let’s see how I am doing, I've got one and a half out of four... not promising.

How do you motivate yourself in your practice? And most importantly keep yourself on track? Do you practice at home? how did you get yourself to practice daily?

Well off to get my 20 minutes of bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment