Friday, May 14, 2010

Dolphin Pose not Dolphin Plank Pose

In my quest to master a "yoga" handstand and in the future headstand I learnt something today about dolphin pose.

For a year now, I have been doing Dolphin Pose completely wrong. This I don't *think* is a fault of my own.  Either that or I really never pay attention to people around me!  When an instructor asks us students to take Dolphin Pose during ground work I, like everyone around me, go into what would be called Dolphin Plank Pose. As far as I can tell is great for our core muscles, and for that, I do love it.

But actual Dolphin pose is set up the same but is more similar to Downward Dog in composition.

1. To start, go into table top pose with your arms directly below your shoulders, one by one bend your elbows keeping your elbows below your shoulder. Do a check by touching your hands to your elbows.

2. Once that is set up, loosely clasp your hands in front of you so to create the peak of a triangle.

This is where it gets different...

3. Without moving your knees, tuck your toes under your feet and slowly raise your hips to the ceiling.

4. Do not allow your head to touch the floor rather allow your spine to remain neutral and as straight as possible (looking somewhere just past your elbows).

5. After you feel as though your back is not rounded and your shoulders are open and on your back, you are ready to further strengthen your arms, shoulders, and core muscles.

6. Without moving your feet or your elbows you can then push forward with your hips and go into a semi-plank position. Due to your feet being so close to your elbows you will not be able to completely straighten your body.

7. When ready push your hips back into dolphin pose, and hold.

Repeat
When you feel tired, do two more ;)

And just wait, one day you too will be able to a headstand!

No comments:

Post a Comment