Friday, May 28, 2010

Inversions

I have become obsessed with inversions.  At home I am constantly practicing my kick-up and dolphin and any arm/shoulder strengtheners and openers.  I think that to accomplish a handstand and maybe a headstand one day will prove my spine wrong. I can in fact do anything, and unlike the spine surgeon I won't have to wait for my disks to seize to be pain free.

Actually the thought of allowing the disks in my neck to seize is the most unpleasant concept.  The idea of spending the better part of my life not being able to move my upper body defeats everything I love to do.  I have images of me in my 50s walking down the street with my back hunched over a walker and having to tip my entire body to the side so that I can look up and forward. A human version of the leaning tower of pisa.

Although I can never look forward to my disk being completely healed, but if I can keep myself limber and neck juicy and strong then I will happy.  This will mean that pain is infrequent and that I will always be able to do what I love.  Inversions here I come!

This is my latest inversion "coach".  This video is from Yoga Journal's podcast videos by Katherine Budig.  It provides a good warm up with a little shoulder opening and back strengthening and then a great progression of kicks and different inverted stands. ( Headstand I, Tripod Headstand, and Handstand)


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment