Thursday, May 20, 2010

"How Long Have You Been Practicing Yoga?"

I will always remember my first class, it was a hot class. I actually had no idea what I was getting into; though I never would have admitted it at the time.  My sister was visiting and she dragged me completely across the city of Toronto just so we could take a hot class at this one studio simply because they had a cheap first visit prices.

Today I will admit that it was at least another year before I would step into a class.  I think it took that long for me to forgot the pain and suffering I felt during that first class.  What I did remember later and what always draws me back to the mat is the peace and meditation that develops in a class, a moving kind of meditation.

Although that first class was well over 7 years ago, those first few years were sporadic and widely spaced but yoga always made its way back into my life.  For the last three years I have developed a consistent practice for myself.  I don't remember exactly where or why that turning point happened, but I think I realized that I had developed this not so secret love affair that needed some consistency, just like any other relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment